Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Can I attach bottom plate to basement floor with liquid nails or should I use concrete fastner?

Someone told me that it's just as easy using liquid nails or similar product to attach bottom plate to basement floor when framing as it is to use hammer drill or hammer gun. I'm concerned that if I do this over time the glue could lose its consistency and walls would become unstable.Can I attach bottom plate to basement floor with liquid nails or should I use concrete fastner?
The best way would be to use both. Better safe then sorry. My brother and I have just finished framing in his basement and that was the the way we did it.Can I attach bottom plate to basement floor with liquid nails or should I use concrete fastner?
Glue is not going to work for you...





You should put a vapour barrier down first (under the bottom plate). This can be 'Sill gasket' (which is foam on a roll about 6'; wide...) or tar paper or even just 6 mil plastic. This will prevent the bottom plate from 'drawing moisture' through the concrete. Usually a basement floor is only a few inches (at best) deep of concrete and then there's stone and dirt below that. Moisture will pass through concrete over time and if the conditions are right, mould will grow in a few years... in your bottom plate and lower studs.


I always use tar paper, set the position of the bottom plate, drill with a concrete bit and then use a hammer-in type anchor... These anchors work like a pin driven down through a hollow shaft that expands. You drill right through the bottom plate and the floor, set one of these in the top of the board and whack it with a hammer to pound the pin into the hollow shaft that you stuck in the hole in the wood... works awesome, easier and cheaper than tapcons and really strong at one every 16'; or so (between the vertical studs). Home Depot has them by the box in different sizes...





Good Luck!
You DEFINITELY need mechanical fasteners in that sole plate.We like to use a ramset to fasten ours with but,there are all kinds of things to use.Also,you should consider using pressure treated lumber that comes in direct contact with concrete.I wouldn't glue my walls in place.
we in remodeling our basement used just the drill and srew method. It would be better safe. and I would hate for you to have to redo all that hard work in future. Good luck..God Bless
The moister you get from concrete won't allow liquid nails to hold. You will have to use concrete nails or screws
Either rent a ram set and shoot nails through the bottom plate or pre-drill and use tapcons in addition to construction adhesive. Do not depend on one method alone, especially just adhesive alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment