Tuesday, February 2, 2010

For framing basement walls, can I use liquid nail for bottom plate rather than drilling into concrete?

I've heard that using a hammer gun will most often crack basement slab and nail still won't be fully installed and unfortunately a hammer drill can be expensive. That's why a friend told me to use liquid nail or some similar product to glue the bottom plate to the floor. I'm concerned that over time, the glue could lose it's hold onto floor and walls may become loose.For framing basement walls, can I use liquid nail for bottom plate rather than drilling into concrete?
Stop listening to your friend!!!!!!!!!!! Bad Idea!!! cracks and miss nails should not be a concern. If you are worried about the cost of a hammer drill go rent one from a tool rental store! Just have your bottom plates and tapcons ready and get the tool. Dont rely on liquid nails to keep your walls in place. Slap your friend!For framing basement walls, can I use liquid nail for bottom plate rather than drilling into concrete?
I have never heard of this and I have sub-contracted the building of two homes. If the basement floor has been properly constructed, then it will cause minimal cracks, certainly nothing to be concerned over. I would worry more about my walls staying put.
I don't think I would trust liquid glue either. You could get a cement drill bit, and drill holes through the floor plate and into the concrete. Then use the anchor screws to secure it to the concrete. These screws have a casing that goes into the concrete hole. When the screw is tightened down, it expands the casing and stays put...period.





No gun required

No comments:

Post a Comment